Join the Waste Management team today. You’ll develop a career focused on positive change and advancement. You’ll be part of a dynamic team, grow as a leader, and earn amazing benefits. Waste Management: It’s not trash; it’s a dependable job you can make into a career.
Why should you apply? We invest in you!
- Great Pay (based on experience)
- Industry-leading health insurance
- Unlimited Paid Time Off
- 401k + Company Match
- 100% Paid Tuition, Books & Fees for 135+ education programs
- Discounted Stock Options
- Discount Program
- An opportunity to work with an empowering workforce and career advancement
About the Job
This position requires an engineer with significant experience in the environmental and solid waste industry. The ideal candidate will possess superior problem solving and management skills that will be applied to a diverse portfolio of technical projects. You will be directly responsible for engineering and construction at solid waste disposal facilities, will communicate with senior management, and direct and mentor junior staff. You will be continually challenged to use your knowledge and skills to advance WM’s status as the leader, and innovator, in providing comprehensive waste management services to a variety of clients.
What Does It Take to Be a Environmental/Solid Waste Sr Engineer?
Below are the minimum qualifications to be a fit for this job.
- Bachelor’s Degree (accredited) in Engineering.
- Five (5) years of related experience (in addition to education requirements).
- Solid Waste, Civil or Environmental Engineering or Construction Management experience
- P.E. Preferred (not required)
- Proficient in Microsoft Windows, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- Willingness to travel up to 10% of time, including travel to remote locations.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact professionally with a variety of audiences.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
- In depth knowledge of environmental regulations, including solid waste, air, storm water and wastewater.
- In depth knowledge of landfill design and permitting.
- Strong project management skills with ability to lead and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to work independently, as well as in a team environment
- Ability to lead environmental, engineering, and multi-disciplinary teams.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret business documents, professional journals, technical procedures, and regulations.
- Working knowledge of safety regulations
- Understanding of accounting processes and P&L statements.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned.
- Engages, directs, and manages professional consulting firms that perform a variety of work tasks at solid waste facilities, such as preparing permit applications and construction plans, conducting site monitoring, preparing regulatory submittals, etc. Will be responsible for final work product.
- Maintains a strong working relationship with regulators and serve as a direct line of communication on technical and permitting matters between regulatory agencies and operating sites. This will include representing WM in permit meetings, hearings, and site inspections. Act as a professional representative for WM as a community liaison, at technical conferences and other forums
- Manages landfill construction projects from overseeing the preparation of construction plans to final approval. Tasks will include managing consultants, contractors and budgets, preparation of bid documents, bid letting, contract administration, coordinating contractors, construction quality assurance firms, and materials order and delivery.
- Actively manages and tracks capital budgets for engineering and construction projects and report to local management and corporate using Company procedures.
- Coordinates landfill capacity tracking to help manage this key asset. This will include developing airspace calculations and completing capacity projections; as well as working with landfill managers to develop efficient fill sequencing plans and schedules for cell construction and closure timing
- Provides continuous evaluation of sites for adherence to construction and permit documents and for site expansion potential through regular site visits. Be proactive in pursuing and obtaining required or beneficial permits and/or permit modifications.
- Collaborates with other professionals and subject matter experts within WM to provide innovative, cost effective engineering solutions to identified or potential operational, environmental, and compliance issues at landfills, transfer stations, hauling operations and other businesses in your area and potentially across the Company. Provide technical expertise and direction to management and other functional areas such as finance, legal and safety to present a clear path to resolution.
- Participates in review of acquisitions and coordination and evaluation of divestitures, including proforma modeling assistance and interaction with corporate and executive management during due diligence.
- Assists in training and provides mentorship and supervision of WM technical staff assigned to your team.
Work Environment / Physical Demands
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Required to use motor coordination with finger dexterity (such as keyboarding, tablet data entry, office machine operation, etc.).
- Ability to exert physical effort in handling objects less than 30 pounds.
- Site work may involve exposure to physical occupational risks associated with chemicals, fuels, wastewater, and construction operations such as dirt, odors, noise, weather extremes and/or similar.
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for, "Apply” today!
Waste Management (WM) is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects. Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran