From the moment you join us, you’ll continue to develop as a tunnel engineer and receive the training you need. You’ll work closely with a professional engineer, alongside a team of engineers of similar experience and globally-recognized industry professionals. From your first week, you’ll gain exposure to project work and start honing the skills to help you progress your journey at Mott MacDonald.
Based from our Iselin, NJ or New York City, NY office, as a tunnel engineer, your responsibilities will include:
- Assisting in the preparation and modification of reports, specifications, plans, studies, and designs for tunnels and underground projects.
- Compiles and computes a variety of engineering data.
- Independently evaluates, selects, and applies standard engineering techniques, procedures, and criteria, using judgment in making minor adaptations and modifications.
- Assist in preparation of geotechnical reports and evaluations.
- Attends meetings with Clients and Contractors.
- Receives and reviews various shop drawings for projects.
- Participate in onsite site investigations at various sites in the area
It’s not all just about work though. We encourage a healthy work-life balance. Each of our offices have a dedicated and active sports and social team, offering discounted activities throughout the year.
We are looking for flexible and motivated tunnel engineers with a genuine passion for tunnel engineering, and a desire to make a difference in the world. If this describes you, apply today to launch your career at Mott MacDonald.
To be considered for this tunnel engineer position, you will have achieved or, are working towards, master's degree (preferred) or a bachelor's degree in civil engineering, with a focus on tunnel, structural and geotechnical.
We are looking for graduates with the following characteristics:
- Master’s in civil engineering preferred, but BS in civil engineering or equivalent required. Degree(s) should be structural in geotechnical, or civil engineering.
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 is preferred
- EIT preferred.
- Goal to obtain PE license when minimum requirements are achieved
- 2+ years of relevant internships, co-ops or practical tunnels engineering work-experience
- Ability to use your initiative to undertake tasks efficiently and independently
- Excellent verbal communication skills, which allow you to confidently liaise with clients and team members
- Excellent written communication and attention to detail and be able to demonstrate accurate technical drawings and good report writing
- Willingness to learn.
Here at Mott MacDonald, we are experts in engineering, management, and development services supporting multisector project work in over 150 countries. One of the largest employee-owned companies in the world, we pride ourselves in our ability to deliver exceptional outcomes through the connected thinking of our 16,000+ talented consultants. Sustainability and innovation are at the heart of all of our sectors which, in North America include Advisory, Built Environment, Energy, Transportation, and Water.
Equality, diversity and inclusion
We put equality, diversity and inclusion at the heart of our business, seeking to promote fair employment procedures and practices to ensure equal opportunities for all. We encourage individual expression in our workplace and are committed to creating an inclusive environment where everyone feels they have the opportunity to contribute.
Equal employment opportunity is the law. English version, Spanish version, Chinese version.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, creed, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship status or disability status.
At Mott MacDonald, we believe it makes business sense for you and your manager to choose how you can work most effectively to meet your client, team and personal commitments. We embrace agility, flexibility and trust.
More about Mott MacDonald
We’re a global engineering, management and development consultancy.
Our purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes in everything we do, relentlessly focusing on excellence and digital innovation, transforming our clients’ businesses, our communities and employee opportunities.
A fundamental part of this is respecting each person’s differences and striving to meet their needs.
Our values: progress, respect, integrity, drive, excellence