DescriptionBurns & McDonnell, an industry leading employee-owned engineering, consulting, and construction company, has an exciting opportunity for a Staff Civil Engineer to be a civil engineer in responsible charge of their work in our growing Solar Power market in the Energy (ENR) Global Practice.The Staff Civil Engineer is responsible for leading, coordinating, and developing the civil engineering on Solar Power projects and pursuits. This individual will be expected to also be the engineer in responsible charge for planning, oversight, quality, and construction coordination required for integrating the civil design on ENR Solar projects and prospects.
- Individual shall be experienced in and familiar with civil design on Solar projects. Field and construction experience are preferred. Individual shall be experienced in the following engineering and design activities, as they constitute the specific activities related to Solar projects and pursuits:
- Surveying and topographic specifications and design documents, in compliance with federal, state, and local codes and requirements. Experience and understanding required of both ground and aerial survey methods.
- Understanding of property lines, easements, and rights-of way for projects.
- Developing a Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP) and required sediment and erosion control management.
- Clearing, grubbing, and mulch design along with sediment and erosion control measures.
- Grading to establish topography suitable for the Solar facility. Coordinating the design and developing standards to consider cut/fill balance and off-site disposal or import of soils as required for specific projects.
- Stormwater, grading, drainage, and associated design and modeling required for site and material laydown areas, construction parking, site access, etc. Modeling to include hydrologic and hydraulic modeling including, but not limited to, FLO2D or comparable. Stormwater design and modeling to also include stormwater detention ponds.
- Site Finishing and Site Maintenance Plan as required for projects.
- Roadways and access considering construction and long-term operations and maintenance including adjacent land uses.
- Permitting required for Solar projects including, but not limited to, Special Use Permits, driveway permits, and land disturbance permits.
- Responsible charge of civil engineering design and specifications to verify requirements for the specific project are being met.
- Participates in the Burns & McDonnell quality process for assigned projects.
- Utilize and develop best management practices and appropriate design aides along with checklists for civil design and quality reviews of Solar sites.
- Execute complex assignments requiring the use of advanced techniques, resulting in the development of new or improved processes, equipment and/or technological methods.
- Mentoring of civil resources.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering or related degree from an ABET accredited program.
- Or Bachelor of Science in Civil or related Engineering Technology from an ABET accredited program and successful completion of Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam.
- Master of Science degree in Civil Engineering may be substituted for 1 year experience.
- 3 years of civil engineering experience, consulting preferred.
- Successful completion (i.e.passing) FE or EIT; ability to obtain Arizona license within 6 months.
- Experience performing civil design activities on large projects.
- Experience performing civil design on Solar projects a plus.
- Must have the ability to lead execution of work and resolve issues in a team environment.
- Experience working and coordinating with foreign workforces a plus.
- Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) project experience is highly preferred.
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- This position requires an individual capable of applying intensive and diversified knowledge of principles and practices to broad areas of assignments.
- Must be capable of devising new approaches to problems encountered.
- Professional Engineer License is required and willingness to be licensed in multiple states based on project assignments.
- Ability to travel is required. Anticipated travel is 20% to 40%.