Schnabel is an employee-owned, professional consulting firm that focuses on solving problems related to the earth and environment through specialization in dam, geotechnical, geostructural, and tunnel engineering. Schnabel’s high standards for quality, business ethics, and concern for the communities they live in and support, are a vital part of who they are and what they offer. Founded in 1956, Schnabel has experienced tremendous success and growth through its dedication to excellence in client service, high quality, and value-added solutions. Schnabel is an ENR Top 500 Design Firm and Top 10 Dams and Reservoirs Design Firm with 400 employees in 22 offices throughout the United States and headquartered in Richmond, Virginia.Recognized by CE News as one of the Best Engineering Firms to Work for, Schnabel provides employees with a competitive benefits package including health, dental, life and disability. Engagement in Schnabel’s wellness program offers incentives for employees to pursue a healthy lifestyle, and the firm rewards employees through its Employee Stock Ownership Plan.Job DescriptionAre you looking for interesting and meaningful work, a fun and flexible atmosphere, and opportunities to learn, grow, and excel? If so, then welcome to Schnabel! We are looking for a mid-level Geophysicist to support our thriving geophysical team that focuses on adding value to civil engineering projects. We use geophysics to provide information and integrate it with engineering data to find solutions, all while maintaining safety and high quality. We approach problems with creativity and innovation.Job ResponsibilitiesThe person hired for this position will integrate into Schnabel’s geophysical team to:
- Develop geophysical scopes of services and fee estimates
- Perform project management activities
- Perform geophysical investigations, field work, and/or data analysis
- Interpret geophysical results and develop geophysical investigation reports
- Manage and mentor junior staff
- Work as a team member within the home office and across other Schnabel offices to effectively balance workload among available resources
- Responsibilities will be commensurate with your experience level
Common geophysical applications include pavement and bridge assessments, karst evaluations, dam seepage or siting, geotechnical, general site characterization, and seismic site evaluations. Typical projects use GPR, EM, ERI, IP, SP, seismic, and NDT methods for engineering and environmental applications.Required Skills/Experience
- Bachelor's or Master’s Degree in Geophysics, Geology, or closely related field.
- Professional experience with field and/or analysis of relevant geophysics and/or NDT applications for civil engineering and/or shallow-subsurface applications.
- Experience/proficiency with common computer-aided analysis and modeling programs applicable to geophysical investigations.
- Availability to travel to project sites and perform geophysical or NDT surveys, sometimes in remote or difficult terrain or with the use of ladders, scaffolding or lifts, in all seasons and weather conditions.
- A positive attitude, strong work ethic, the desire for continual self-improvement, and the desire to perform professionally at a high level.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Periodic travel for projects and other responsibilities is required and anticipated to range between 25-50% of time; typical project durations are a couple days to 1 month with less common occasional multi-month projects.
- Strong knowledge and experience with GPR and other NDT methods
- Licensed professional geologist, geophysicist, or engineer in one or more states and/or the ability to obtain licensure in PA or VA within 6 months of hire
- Leadership and self-sufficiency skills: ability to train and manage other staff or field teams
- An interest in diversifying your technical skills as opportunities arise
- Experience with InSAR, infrastructure monitoring systems, remote sensing, aerial or drone surveys
- Manage client relationships and business development opportunities, commensurate with experience level
LocationWe have a preference that the physical location of this position be based out of either our Chadds Ford, PA or Richmond, VA locations. However, we will consider flexibility for other locations, depending on your experience.Other Requirements
- Ability to pass a background check which may include criminal history and motor vehicle record
- Ability to pass a pre-employment screening
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability