Job Description Summary
The Wind Technical Assistant is to support the team of Lead Training Specialists conducting classes based at the Renewable Energy Learning Center (RELC) in Niskayuna, NY. The purpose of the role is providing training support in the lab to increase safety, maintain and improve the tools and equipment, which includes wind as well as solar equipment.
- Support and assure lab safety rules are always maintained. Drive site safety culture by modeling behaviors associated with the highest level of EHS best practices
- Must be able to work on a team or individually, to assist in repairs of several models of GE Wind Turbines. This includes performing component replacements and troubleshooting mechanical and or electrical faults.
- Coordinate crews of students, oversee contractors, understand and demonstrate proper use of lab tools and equipment and logistics required to perform services and maintenance activities.
- Coordinate and secure on-site installation of new lab systems and/or equipment. Perform ongoing preventive maintenance, repair and calibration after installation.
- Perform administrative functions; such as ordering and shipping tooling, maintaining tooling inventory, ordering parts and ensuring items requiring periodic calibration or servicing are maintained
- Organize, clean and sanitize the tools and equipment in the lab after each class.
Qualifications / Requirements
- Associate degree in a technical field or 1 year of wind field experience or 4 years military experience in an electrical/mechanical field.
- Ability and willingness to operate heavy equipment
- Ability and willingness to climb wind turbines and work at heights
- Ability and willingness to possess and maintain a valid driver's license
- Ability and willingness to work swing shift (1st and/or 2nd shift)
- Familiarity with and ability to operate basic hand tools
- Bachelor’s Degree in a Technical, Electrical, Mechanical or Electronics field from an accredited college or university.
- Ability to read and understand electrical schematic drawings.
- Technical Certification in Wind Energy or Electrical / Electronic field.
- Mechanical knowledge, electrical aptitude and ability to read schematics
- Ability and willingness to take initiative, and work without direct supervision.
- Ability and willingness to read, interpret technical manuals, procedures, and regulations.
- Electrical, mechanical, and/or hydraulic experience.
- Experience using hydraulic power tools.
- Experience with heavy equipment required for facility maintenance with a working knowledge of crane and rigging requirements.
- Experience with the 1.x turbine platform
- Experience with the 2.x turbine platform
- Wind farm site experience
- Understanding of the electric utility industry
- English fluency and proficient in additional languages, particularly with technical explanations
- Strong computer skills including all MS Office 365 products, MS Teams, photo and video editing, audio and video equipment usage.
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a drug screen (as applicable).Relocation Assistance Provided: Yes