DescriptionBurns & McDonnell’s office in Chicago, IL, is looking for a Staff Distribution Designer to perform distribution line design on a variety of utility projects. Burns & McDonnell is a 100% employee-owned firm ranked on FORTUNE’s List of 100 Best Companies to Work For and voted as a Best Place to Work in numerous other cities across the United States.This position offers the opportunity to challenge and grow yourself professionally within Engineering News-Record (ENR) magazine's top-ranked Transmission & Distribution practice. Be on the cutting edge of new technologies and engineering practices in the T&D engineering space.The Staff Distribution Designer will work within our Transmission and Distribution (T&D) Global Practice to perform the following duties:
- Responsible for the design of low to medium voltage (2.4-120kV) distribution and subtransmission lines using CADD.
- Prepare construction documents including plan and profile drawings for overhead and underground electric distribution, fiber optic and telecommunications facilities.
- Provide field support during construction.
- Plans, schedules, conducts and coordinates work requiring judgment in the independent evaluation, selection, adaptation and modification of standard engineering techniques, procedures and criteria.
- Performs work which involves conventional engineering practices, but may involve a variety of complex features.
- Requires general knowledge of precedents in specialty areas and familiarity with basic principles and practices in related specialties.
- May coordinate departmental and divisional project studies and report preparation assignments.
- This position requires an experienced and competent individual capable of successfully solving difficult problems that require adaptation and modification of standard techniques, procedures and criteria.
- Must be capable of devising new approaches to problems encountered.
- Assist project manager to develop scope of work and conceptual design for the projects.
- Communicate and coordinate project activities with project manager, client, and others as needed.
- Provide leadership, guidance and instruction to less experienced staff members.
- Take personal responsibility for the quality and accuracy of one’s work.
- Other duties will be assigned as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in drafting technology or related field and eight years related experience or associate's degree and ten years related experience or eleven years progressive detailing and design experience. Field experience is desirable.
- Expert understanding of design software such as: AutoCAD, Civil 3D, MicroStation, GIS and Excel to develop the design deliverables.
- Expert knowledge in design, calculations and design systems.
- Expert knowledge in the theory and practices of civil discipline; competent in the fundamental concepts of other disciplines as they relate to the assigned discipline; and capable of operating related discipline design software necessary to execute production tasks.
- Ability to work collaboratively with others (Project Managers, Engineers and Designers) in a multi-discipline project team environment to resolve design or drawing issues as appropriate and to accomplish objectives.
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, and attention to detail.
EEO/Minorities/Females/Disabled/VeteransJob Computer Aided Drafting & DesignPrimary Location US-IL-ChicagoSchedule: Full-timeTravel: Yes, 15 % of the TimeReq ID: 201616