About UsAt HDR, we specialize in engineering, architecture, environmental and construction services. While we are most well-known for adding beauty and structure to communities through high-performance buildings and smart infrastructure, we provide much more than that. We create an unshakable foundation for progress because our multidisciplinary teams also include scientists, economists, builders, analysts and artists. That's why we believe diversity is our greatest strength. HDR is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer.
Watch our 'About Us' video
We believe that the way we work can add meaning and value to the world. That ideas inspire positive change. That coloring outside the lines can illuminate fresh perspectives. And that small details yield important realizations. Above all, we believe that collaboration is the best way forward.Primary ResponsibilitiesIn the role of Senior Structural Engineer, we'll count on you to:
- Supervise or conduct structural analyses, evaluations and designs; develop design options or recommendations
- Lead, assist with, or provide oversight for preparation of contract documents including drawings, specifications, design documentation and criteria, and cost estimates.
- Lead design of various new and/or rehabilitation of hydraulic structures, including dams, spillways, gates, outlet works, diversion structures, retaining walls, cofferdams, floodwalls, water conveyance structures, foundations
- Prepare inspection and design documentation including critical reports
- Perform engineering assignments that may require critical thinking and creativity to address unique structural elements that have limited or no specific code based guidance
- Coordinate structural design with multi-disciplinary teams
- Work independently as project manager and provide oversight and mentorship of project and junior staff. This role may include leadership and expansion of HDR’s structural engineering services including client and strategic project development with Federal and State government agencies, water agencies and utilities, and power utilities.
- Review tasks undertaken by others in the group such that each design receives a complete check of design assumptions, calculations, criteria, load cases, code review and compliance with design standards
- Perform inspections and structural assessments of existing structures and structures under construction
- Perform other duties as needed
- Bachelors degree in Civil or Structural Engineering
- Requires a minimum of 10 years experience in structural and seismic analyses, with a minimum of 5 years finite element modeling.
- Demonstrable experience with leading structural design projects, including analysis, reporting, and drawing production
- Demonstrated knowledge of structural, seismic, risk assessment, risk informed decision making involved in dam safety design, inspection, remediation, and construction
- Field experience related to hydraulic structure construction, inspection, or related instrumentation
- Strong background in finite element modeling and knowledge of computer-based design tools (such as CAD, SAP2000, LPILE, or equivalent). Use of commercially available programs that can be used for advanced analysis such as dynamic response spectrum or seismic time history analysis.
- Experience with designing for alternate delivery methods, including Design-Build, Design-Bid-Build
- PE or SE Licensure, CA preferred
- Microsoft Office, AutoCAD, Mathcad, SAP2000, or similar analytical software, advanced finite element software (LS-DYNA, ANSYS, Abaqus)
- Must possess strong interpersonal, speaking, and writing skills and an attitude and commitment to being an active participant of our employee-owned culture is a must
- Master's degree in Architectural Engineering, Structural emphasis preferred
Why HDRAt HDR, we know work isn't only about who you work for; it's also about what you do and how you do it. Led by the strength of our values and a culture shaped by employee ownership, we network with each other, build on each other's contributions, and collaborate together to make great things possible. When you join HDR, we give you license to do the same. We help you take charge of your career, giving you multiple growth opportunities along the way.