At Arup, our innovative spirit compels us to express our ingenuity in unique ways — engineering, planning, designing, and consulting on many of the most renowned projects in the built environment. We aim to deliver technical excellence, innovation, and value to clients, while maintaining our core mission of shaping a better world. The firm opened its first office over 70 years ago and now employs 14,000 people globally. Since its founding in 1946, members of Arup have developed transformative ways of working. Adapting to the ever changing environment, our work is focused on ambitiously reimagining a sustainable and resilient future for cities. Arup is rising to these new challenges: by bringing together broad-minded individuals from a wide range of disciplines, investing in research, innovating and creating better solutions for clients and the wider world.
Arup's San Francisco office is seeking a Structural Blast Consultant to join our team. The primary focus of the Consultant is to provide specialist blast consulting and design services for a variety of clients in the United States and around the globe. The role requires a person with a broad knowledge of structural engineering as well as an understanding of dynamic loading, and material response. The candidate should also be able to develop and present conceptual ideas, and have an understanding of the planning, design and construction process. Experience with blast modeling is desired but not required as training will be given.
Your Responsibilities include:
• Have a practicing knowledge of structural engineering and an understanding of how to model such structures against dynamic loading;
• Understand security processes and the background to why blast analysis is required;
• Understand structural/ blast concepts and the capability to turn the concepts into design.
• Liaise with clients and stakeholders to confirm blast requirements during the design process.
• Assist in the production of threat and vulnerability risk assessments.
• Carry out blast modeling using engineering software including computational fluid dynamic modeling;
• Work cooperatively with other Arup personnel on projects (in the United States and overseas)
• Coordinate design related issues with other disciplines.
• Prepare and deliver blast reports detailing the methodology of the process undertaken, illustration of the results in a manner that can be understood by clients, and strategically advising on best outcomes
• Prepare and deliver design documentation.
• Participate in the presentation of project results to clients;
• Assist in the identification and development of new business opportunities.
• Establish and maintain good working relationships with private sector clients, government agencies, professional firms and consultants relevant to the team’s activities
• Provide detailed technical input across a broad range of projects within the security area.
• Work collaboratively with both the AT+R and Resilience, Security & Risk leaders, other members of the team, and other Arup teams across the Region in the delivery of successful projects/ assignments.
• Contribute to internal technical research initiatives and seek to improve existing methods and processes
• Effectively manage time, quality and performance of projects with established quality, budget and project expectations
• Participate in broader Office, Region, and Arup Group Global activities as assigned or appropriate
• Support the Arup strategic vision- “we shape a better world”
• Supporting the firm’s compliance in maintaining quality assurance procedures
Minimum Technical Skills and Qualifications:
• Degree in structural engineering or similar area;
• Relevant 3 -5 years of industry experience in structural or blast engineering within a consulting business environment or design experience with a contractor/integrator;
• Membership of relevant professional institutions/professional peer bodies, or licensure, or significant credit towards eligibility;
• Proven working knowledge of relevant legislation, regulations, codes of practice, and guidelines
Preferred Technical Skills and Qualifications:
• Understanding of latest modeling process and programs for the determination of blast loads;
• Experience of using finite element packages such as Strand7 or LS-DYNA;
• An understanding of holistic security strategy, electronic or operational security;
• Experience working on large infrastructure projects;
• An understanding of what is needed to support an efficient and commercially viable team
Required Personal Attributes:
• Ability to communicate with people at all levels in both technical and non-technical environments;
• Effective written communication and report writing skills;
• An ability to think strategically and formulate innovative plans and solutions for clients
• Keen understanding of “customer” needs (both internal and external), and a strong ability to effectively manage the issues which may impact on maintaining effectiveness within a commercial environment
• Ability to remain positively motivated and foster team spirit at times of significant pressure, including assisting others to meet deadlines;
• Desire to produce high quality work and excel;
Arup offers an outstanding benefits package including healthcare, 401k match, time off and profit share.
Share your passion and experience in a global culture that believes your potential to achieve is endless.
Arup is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment where our people are encouraged to thrive.