At Arup, our innovative spirit and determination enables us to express our ingenuity in unique ways developing many of the world’s most innovative and sustainable building engineering projects. Arup is a global engineering and consulting firm of over 16,000 creative minds. Our integrated approach to engineering and design brings together the best professionals to meet our clients’ needs.
During your career at Arup, you’ll have the chance to engage in a fulfilling career and work with some of the most highly respected engineers and specialists in the world. We look for talented individuals who exhibit exceptional technical skills and have personal characteristics that will help to propagate the long-term
Arup values of:
• Quality of Work
• Holistic Approach
• Humane Organization
• Straight and Honorable Dealings
• Social Usefulness
• Reasonable Prosperity of Members
Our Los Angeles office is seeking a Façade Engineer who will collaborate with architects and other building professionals to design and deliver exciting, world class buildings.
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
• Develop ideas for facades concepts – sketching, reports, sketchbooks, spreadsheets and analyses for discussion with Architects and clients
• Engage teams of architects and engineers focused on the 3D modeling (geometrical and detailing);
• Carry out structural, thermal and energy modeling of building enclosure details and systems;
• Utilize advanced analysis programs and techniques (CFD, finite element and microclimate) to understand building envelope physics and façade design;
• Undertake engineering façade calculations with various materials, including structural glass, aluminum, stainless steel, wood, stone and precast concrete;
• Produce details and drawings using various 2D and 3D CAD and graphics packages;
• Perform technical reviews of shop drawings and construction administration submittals to ensure air, water, thermal, seismic, acoustic and structural performance;
• Interpret specifications and design documents and write reports summarizing conditions;
• Carry out mock-up, factory and field inspections and investigations.
Qualified professionals should have:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Architecture or related Science discipline
• 4+ years of relevant experience
• Core interest in the building envelope design with emphasis on detailing and engineering
• Experience with 3D computer modeling and analysis packages
• Experience in technical presentations and technical writing
• Good communication skills, essential for team-based working
• Good time management habits, ability to multi-task, ability to sustain focus on long tasks.
• Good sketching skills and an ability to communicate thoughts and technical ideas in an accessible way.
• Excellent planning and organization skills required for our fast-paced environment.
• Must be highly motivated, proactive and willing to take on new challenges.
• In-depth technical and design skills related to building envelope design and detailing.
• Master’s or PhD degree with emphasis on architecture and engineering
• Professional degree plus licensure in architecture or engineering.
• North-American cladding industry experience preferred.
• Membership in ASHRAE, ASME, ASCE, Society of Facade Engineering or Ontario Building Envelope Council.
• Experience with a variety of systems and materials.
Benefits - Arup offers an outstanding benefits package including healthcare, 401k match of 10%, 4 weeks of Paid Time Off (PTO) and bonus compensation in the form of Profit Share.
Arup is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment where our people are encouraged to grow.